location Banner



If yes, then the following applies to you.

Idling for more than 5 minutes is prohibited within California's borders
As of January 1, 2008 all trucks over 10,000 pounds, now including Sleeper Berth Trucks, will not be allowed to idle more than 5 minutes.

What are the violation penalties?
Fines start at $300 and can be as much as $1000 per day. Violators may also face criminal charges.

Are there situations where idling is allowed?
Yes, idling under the following situations is acceptable:

  • You are stuck in traffic.
  • When idling is necessary for inspecting or servicing your vehicle.
  • You are operating a power take-off device.
  • You cannot move because of adverse weather conditions or mechanical failure.
  • You are queuing (must be beyond 100 feet from any residential area).
  • Your truck’s engine meets the optional NOx idling emission standard and your truck is located beyond 100 feet from any residential area.
  • Please visit www.arb.ca.gov/noidle for a complete list of exemptions.

If I can't idle, what can I do about cab comfort?
Here is a list of some available idle reduction technologies:

  • Battery-Powered Auxiliary Power Systems
  • Fuel-Fired Heaters (restrictions apply - visit www.arb.ca.gov/noidle for details)
  • Diesel-Fueled Auxiliary Power Systems (restrictions apply - visit www.arb.ca.gov/noidle for details)
  • Truck stop infrastructures that provide heating, cooling, electricity, and/or other services at various locations throughout California
  • Visit www.arb.ca.gov/cabcomfort for information on these and other idle reduction technologies.

Are there restrictions that apply to idle reduction technology?
Yes, here are some restrictions that apply:

  • You cannot operate a diesel-fueled auxiliary power system for more than 5 minutes if you are located within 100 ft of a residential area.
  • Starting January 1, 2008, if your truck has a 2007 or newer engine, your diesel-fueled auxiliary power system or fuel-fired heater must meet additional equipment requirements.
  • Please visit www.arb.ca.gov/noidle for more information.

Does my truck need a new label?
Starting January 1, 2008, a special hood label will be required if:

  • Your truck has a 2007 or newer engine and you operate an engine-based auxiliary power system within California, or
  • Your truck’s engine meets the optional NOx idling emission standard and you idle for more than 5 minutes within California.

Where can I get more information?

  • Contact the California Air Resources Board at 1-800-END-SMOG (1-800-363-7664)
  • Visit Our Program Webpage at: www.arb.ca.gov/noidle

*Other laws, regulations, and restrictions may apply. Nothing in this fact sheet or in the referenced regulation sections allows idling in excess of other applicable laws, regulations, and restrictions.

For more information, contact your product support sales rep, or call 800.963.6446 and we will direct your call.