THINKBIG PROGRAM, CA
frequently asked questions
How Do I Apply?
Applications are available for download:
After I Fill Out an Application, Will I Need to Provide Anything Else?
Applicants will be required to provide:
- A 250 word essay describing why you are interested in the program and why you feel you are a good fit for the program
- 3 letters of reference, one from a teacher or counselor, one from an employer and one from anyone of your choice
- Copies of your High School and if applicable College transcripts
- If you are a veteran, a copy of your DD214
What Is Peterson Looking For In An Applicant?
Among the features Peterson would like to see in a ThinkBig applicant are:
- A commitment to a career with Peterson in the Heavy Equipment industry
- A strong mechanical aptitude
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
Is It Easy to Gain a Seat in the Program?
- Selection is a competitive process, each year Peterson receives more applications than the available seats
- Candidates that apply for the program can also learn about Petersons’ other community college scholarships and trade school tuition reimbursement opportunities
Is the Thinkbig Program the Only Way to Begin a Career as a Service Technician with Peterson?
No, Peterson also hires from other sources, such as:
- Community college Diesel/Heavy Equipment programs, such as Alameda Community College, Santa Rosa Community College and Shasta College
- Commercial trade schools such as UTI and Wyotech
- Technicians with related experience such as military service and the automotive industry
How Often to Classes Start?
Once a year, Peterson interviews in May and new students begin school in August
Where Do I Live While in School?
There are a number of options. Many of our students:
- Commute from home
- Share apartments with other students
- Bring trailers to local RV parks
Where do Students Work during their Internships?
Interns are assigned to the Peterson store that will give them the best opportunities to develop their skills. If an intern is asked to work at a store that is not close to their home, Peterson can help with housing. After graduation Peterson will attempt to place employees at the store of their choice based on business conditions
What does a Student have to Pay for to Complete the Program?
Students are required to pay for housing, food and books
How does a Student Pay to Complete the Program?
- Earnings from Internship employment
- ThinkBIG also qualifies for many financial aid programs, scholarships and the GI Bill
How Long Do I Have To Work For Peterson After I Graduate
There is no contract, Peterson offers great jobs for service technicians with great pay and benefits, people want to work for Peterson.